Having shared a long term SEO relationship with Furniture Bazaar, we were excited when the time came to replace their ageing Joomla site.
A common challenge in retail is balancing the promotion of multiple store outlets while maximising the benefits of the online sales platform.
Furniture Bazaar’s network of centrally located stores throughout the Perth metro area provide affordable, quality furniture that local customers can browse in store with the option for online research or purchase.
After weighing up various eCommerce CMS options, we arrived on Magento as the best choice given the sites required features, functionality and integrations.
While Magento is a powerful platform, the new Magento 2 out of the box comes with some technical SEO challenges. Some of Magento 2’s default issues include:
- Does not enforce a trailing slash on URLs unless the page exists
- Creates SEO un-friendly layered navigation URLs
- Creates duplicate content for products depending on how you navigate to that product (rather that setting the URL as the parent page).
- Handles redirects from http to https as 302’s instead of 301’s
- Has over 130 server calls to JS files.
- Doesn’t come with a robots.txt file
- Still uses the obsolete / outdated meta keyword tag
Being responsible for SEO as well as web places the onus of responsibility on us to ensure we deliver a solution from a UX point of view, but also from a technical and SEO perspective.
We were proud to deliver on the User Experience objectives of this project while at the same time, navigate the challenges of the Magento 2 platform and delivering an uplift in SEO results.